In a sense, I lead dual lives. In my possession, I have two laptops:
- For work : a top-of-the-line 15″ Apple MacBook Pro
- For home use : a 13″ version of the above
I rely on differing sizes as a visual cue, to ensure that I don’t accidentally take the wrong one when commuting or traveling. This is further reinforced by two messenger bags that differ in both size & appearance.
- Work : Timbuk2 Custom Classic Messenger (Medium)
- Home : Timbuk2 Commute Messenger Bag 2.0 (Black, Small)
It’s cost-prohibitive to mirror the contents — peripherals, travel gear, writing equipment — across both bags. So a different problem emerges: how do I keep remember everything else? I’ve settled on multiple discrete containers, or “bags of holding“, to carry my personal effects.
- Two (2) Tom Bihn Clear Organizer Pouches (Medium)
- One (1) Tom Bihn Snake Charmer Electronics Pouch (Small)
My rationale is that as long as I keep everything in its proper place, then I only need to move these items from bag to another. I considered fewer containers, but each bag serves a different purpose:
- Organizer pouch #1 : In this bag I carry accessories for my iOS devices & my Apple Watch. If it has a Lightning connector, you’ll find it in here.
- Organizer pouch #2 : Intended for travel, this bag contains writing tools, my passport, Global Entry card, and Priority Pass. It has room for my wallet & phone.
- Snake Charmer : This is where I carry Mac accessories, including power cord, adapters, external battery, and hard disk drive.